Atomic state this boot as a revolutionary game changer and although we hear that term a lot in the ski industry, we’re inclined to agree. The Hawx Ultra XTD 120 is a new touring/alpine boot from Atomic that does not sacrifice downhill performance for uphill performance. Although the boot comes in at a narrow 98mm last, the Hawx Ultra line of boots feature Atomics ‘Memory Fit’ plastic which allows complete customisation of the shell to accommodate a variety of foot shapes, sizes and widths. Dynafit Certified Tech Inserts, a light boot weight of 1580g and the Frictionless Pivot walk mode that allows for 54° range of motion for touring will make ascents quick and easy. These features don’t weaken the downhill performance though - a Grilamid (think strong, light plastic) lower shell and reinforced energy backbone stiffens the boot torsionally so energy transfer into your skis will be efficient and precise. Atomic really have combined the best of alpine boots and touring boots in creating the Hawx Ultra XTD line and if you’re after one boot that will do everything inside and beyond the resort boundaries, the Hawx Ultra XTD 120 should be on your radar.
The toe box in the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD does feel narrow and tapered like a 98mm boot should. However there is a little bit of extra volume or room on top of the foot to allow for comfort when touring. Not a huge amount, but noticeable when compared to other alpine style 98mm boots. Skiers with very low volume feet who are after a 98mm lasted touring boot may need to use Atomics included size adjusters or custom padding to reduce volume in the shell if their heel doesn’t feel completely secure, especially for resort skiing. For the average foot this shouldn't be an issue. The cuff fits nice and securely around less developed lower legs but with the ability to shell mold with the Memory Fit plastic will allows up to 4mm expansion to accommodate more muscular legs and wider feet. The thermomoldable Memory Fit 3D Gold Light liner creates a snug anatomical fit around the foot and is shaped to shell to ensure a snug fit with no real pressure points. Atomic use 3M Thinsulate for excellent insulation from the cold. The liner and cuff come quite high up the leg more similar to a traditional alpine boot than a touring boot.
Touring performance in this boot should be amazing. A few of us here at Aussieskier are already sizing ourselves up for next years trips to Mt. Bogong and Mt. Feathertop. At 1580 grams in a 26.5 per boot (including liner) it is light. Like really light. Combined with a Gripwalk rockered sole, low tech Dynafit inserts and a huge range of motion, skinning and boot backing will be effortless and help you save energy.
- Memory Fit shell and liner allows for easy modification from your boot fitter
- Grilamid shell and Polyurethane cuff
- Dynafit Certified Tech Inserts
- Gripwalk sole - compatible with Gripwalk, MNC, ISO 9523 and pin style bindings.
- Lightweight 6000-Series Aluminium buckles
- Frictionless Pivot
- Free/Lock 2.0 walk mode allows for 54° range of motion
- Flex: 120
- Volume: Low to standard foot
- Cuff shape: Less developed to standard size calf
- Last: 98/102mm
- Powerstrap: Yes
- Weight: 1580g per boot in a size 26.5
Any defective items that are still within the manufacturer’s warranty period will be returned to the manufacturer or their local agent for warranty assessment.
The manufacturer or their local agent has sole discretion in determining whether an item is defective and qualifies for a replacement.
Be sensible – if you slide rails or hit rocks, your skis aren’t going to get replaced.
Chips to the edges of a ski's topsheet & topsheet peeling caused by skiing with your feet close together or banging your skis together on a lift are not covered by warranty.
Luggage: Please note that luggage warranties specifically refer to manufacturing defects, not damage sustained during travel. For example a tear in the fabric isn't covered, but a burst seam or defective zip is.
Airline policies differ, but generally require you to report damage sustained to your luggage either at the airport or within 1-3 days of your flights in order to receive compensation.
Too big, too small, not stoked on the colour? No worries!
If you are not happy with your product purchased from aussieskier.com you can return, subject to the below conditions, within 30 days of purchasing your item. First step is to lodge an RMA request on our Return Portal
Items marked as Clearance are not eligible for a return. (Under Australian Consumer Law, defective items are not affected by this policy and will be treated as per the above Warranty section)
Return shipping to us is at your own cost.
- The item must be in unused/unworn and in re-saleable condition
- Packaging must be original & undamaged with all stickers/tags etc still attached & factory seal intact.
- Avalanche Safety items are not eligible for returns
- Device must not have been turned on and/or the battery inserted.
- Device must be returned in factory sealed packaging.
- Please note that we cannot accept returns/exchanges on skis that have been mounted.
- Specifically for ski boots we ask you to not mark the soles while trying them on at home, only walk on carpet, boots used on concrete/hard surfaces will be refused a return.
- Any attempt at heat moulding/boot modification will void the eligibility for return.